Thursday, May 12, 2011

American Idol's Scotty McCreery Sings “Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)”

Scotty McCreery, American Idol Season 10's consistently good Country Charmer, sang “Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)”. Tonight's celebrity guest mentor was Lady Gaga, and the first theme of the night was "Songs that Inspire". "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" is a Country song composed by Alan Jackson. Written in the wake of the September 11 attacks and introduced at the Country Music Association's annual awards show on November 7, 2001, it reached the top of the Billboard Country Charts. Scotty choose "Where Were You" "because these lyrics mean so much to me as an American. But I think they also speak to everybody out there in the country. So for me to be able to get on that stage and connect to all those people at one time, it's just gonna be a great experience."

Scotty gets a sit down with Host Ryan Seacrest before his performance. If Scotty makes it to the Top 3, he'll "go home and kiss the grass." Scotty keeps the theatrics to a minimum, and simply sits on the stage with a guitar and a violinist, so just the lyrics come powerfully through. A bit of a mis-connect with this song though, as Scotty was only 7 when the Twin Towers fell. Lines like "And I remember this from when I was young," just didn't hold true. Since Scotty didn't have an emotional connection to the events of 9/11 (because he was just a child), the song didn't nearly have the emotional impact it does when Alan Jackson sings it. But the Idol audience seemed to love it. Randy Jackson praised, "That’s a great amazing song, Alan Jackson. It's a great lyric. All these songs are inspirational because they mean so much to you. Perfect song choice for where we are now as a country. I think those lyrics, "I'm jut a simple guy singing a simple song" - I hope that you keep that. I think that you've set your mark on this stage this season. You’re ready for super stardom, Dude, and I hope you make it. Very nice." Steven Tyler added, "Scotty, Man, that was beautiful. Saw you almost lose it in the middle because of your passion for what you were singing about. I see it in your eyes now. You keep that up. That was beautiful." Jennifer Lopez raved, "I’m in love with you. What you stand for. What you bring to your music. I can tell how much you think about it. You know who you are. You know what touches other people. It’s the mark of somebody who was really meant to do this. I’m glad that we’re here to witness it."







Find hundreds of Hot SCOTTY McCREERY and AMERICAN IDOL T-shirts, Hoodies, PJ's, Boy Shorts, Iphone & Ipad Cases and More! Tons of styles & designs! Just click the T-shirt and type Scotty McCreery (or American Idol, or other contestant's name) into the search box.





Get your American Idol Live! tickets Now! Click below: American Idol Live Tour 2011

1 comment:

  1. In Alan Jackson's song Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning) he says "I remember this from when I was young" he's referring to learning about the things that God gave us. Such as faith, hope, and love, as mentioned in the song.

    ReplyDelete