Thursday, March 10, 2011

Casey Abrams Gets By "With a Little Help From My Friends" on the American Idol Top 13 Show

American Idol Season 10's resident "Sexy Beast" Casey Abrams gave a thrilling (some might say titillating) performance of Joe Cocker's version of The Beatles "With a Little Help From My Friends" on the Top 13 Show last night. The contestants picked a song performed by one of their personal 'Idols', and Casey choose Joe Cocker. "The first time I heard this song I was like 5, and I just remember I heard it on The Wonder Years, so that it really stuck in my head," said Casey.

Well the song must have really made an impression on young Casey Abrams, because he poured everything he had into his cool, raspy, get-down-n-dirty performance. Grrrl! In talking about Joe Cocker, Casey said "You don't hear him, you feel him. I wanna be felt." We feel ya Casey!

Standing O!!! The judges and audience loved it! Jennifer Lopez said, “At one point I grabbed Randy and said "What am I watching right now?" I'm watching someone important. Blew me away.” Randy Jackson raved “Dude, you were so unbelievable and so exciting... You make listening to you sing fun. I loved it dude, I loved it.” And Steven Tyler had these words of wisdom for Casey "You are a rainbow of talent, man. You are a plethora of passion. Everyone in the house felt what you did." After the performance, Casey told Ryan Seacrest, "I think Joe Cocker embodied me for a second...He inspired me. Umrrah. The passion."

"With a Little Help from My Friends" is a song written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, released on The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in 1967. The song was written for and sung by The Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr as the character "Billy Shears"; it is ranked #304 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Joe Cocker's version was a radical re-arrangement of the original, using different chords and a lengthy instrumental introduction (featuring drums by Procol Harum's B.J. Wilson and guitar lines from Jimmy Page). It is one of Joe Cocker's most famous songs. Cocker performed the song at Woodstock in 1969 and that performance was included in the documentary film, "Woodstock". His cover was ranked number two in UpVenue's top 10 best music covers of all time in 2009. The version heard in the film Across the Universe segues from the original to Cocker's arrangement at the end of the song.



A little trivia: "With a Little Help from My Friends" was played as wake-up music on Space Shuttle Mission STS-61.
Share to YOUR Facebook profile for all Casey Abrams-loving friends to enjoy!

Get the American Idol Season 10 Top 13 performances! Click below: icon icon

No comments:

Post a Comment